This role is eligible to work from home from Bangladesh, China, Ethiopia, India, US, Vietnam, or Zambia.
The eLearning Specialist will create digital learning content for health care professionals to improve their knowledge and skills to detect, diagnose and treat blinding eye conditions.
In this job you will be responsible for the hands-on technical construction, implementation, and maintenance of online courses for eye health professionals delivered through their own LMS platform. This includes oversight and day-to-day management of an existing Learning Management System (Absorb) with more than 40,000 users and a collection of 20+ custom courses.
The successful candidate must be able to use adult education/instructional design theories and appropriate technologies to create engaging courses for eye professionals around the world, the majority of whom are in low- and middle-income settings. This position will also act as a thought leader within on emerging design, development and implementation strategies and tactics for distance medical education.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Lead the construction of new online courses, working with a cross-disciplinary team of program staff, trainers, medical experts, medical illustrators and video editors
- Manage the upkeep, review and refresh of existing online courses and related content
- Perform technical maintenance and troubleshooting of course content and the LMS
- Establish standards (platforms, technologies) that help our client be a global leader in the delivery of distance medical education in the communities we serve
- Support the development and delivery of hybrid in-person and online training programs
- Develop and implement innovative ways of evaluating knowledge transfer to learners
- Facilitate live and recorded training (e.g. lectures)
- Create and implement training for Orbis staff on how to use the LMS (building curricula, running reports, viewing learner transcripts)
- Implement reporting mechanisms that help Orbis evaluate the uptake, output and outcomes of its distance education programs
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in training, communications, adult education/ instructional design or information and communications technologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in multimedia authoring software and creation of interactive content
- Experience working in medical education preferred (experience in ophthalmology would be ideal)
- 3-5 years’ experience working with Learning Management System platforms as a developer or administrator (and ideally a combination of both), including end-user support
- Experience with HTML, image, audio and video editing
- Knowledge of and experience with e-learning content standards (e.g. SCORM, xAPI)
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Genuine interest in public health and “technology for good”
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written); the ability to interact and collaborate effectively with people of diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Strong organizational & planning skills with keen attention to detail: ability to handle multiple tasks and details efficiently while meeting deadlines.
- Fluency in other languages is desirable
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and exercise independent judgement regarding operational decisions, processes or systems.
- Ability to travel occasionally, including travel to and within developing countries.