POSTED BY MEGAN WILSON ON AUGUST 23, 2015 POSTED IN USER EXPERIENCE, UX MOTEL
“People ignore design that ignores people.” – Frank Chimero, Author of The Shape of Design
User experience can make or break any business. The ability for someone to navigate a website or application intuitively and with ease helps to capture and retain the attention of current and potential customers.
A study conducted by User Interface Engineering in 2005 asked consumers to visit a website to purchase a product to see how many were able to successfully complete a purchase. In the end, only 30 percent of participants could complete their order. Why? A majority of people, the remaining 70 percent, could not navigate their way through the website to make the purchase.
These results clearly demonstrate the importance of user experience in improving a website’s conversion. So, how does a business get started? A few basic tips and tricks will improve your websites user experience.
1. Understanding the Customer
User experience begins with thinking like the customer. A successful UX design leads visitors exactly where they want to go. Try to create a design based on the users’ needs. Communicate with potential customers to understand their way of thinking. Invite random people to test the website or application in the office. Offer customer surveys or interview visitors for feedback. This will bring to light any issues and improve overall user experience.
Join Over 10,000 People Who Read My eBook, UX Masters, and Receive A Free Copy, PLUS A Monthly UX News Sum-Up. Simply Fill in the Form Below the Post.
2. Keep It Consistent – Standardizing Design & Functionality
A user’s past experience working with different websites, games, and applications influences the way a user navigates an interface. For example, a consumer may look for a shopping cart symbol when ready to make a purchase. When designing a website or application, don’t reinvent the wheel. Keep your website consistent with standard design practices so that users intuitively understand where how to navigate the site based on their prior experience.
3. Lead the Way – Online Guidance Platforms
Knowing how and where to guide visitors on a website directs users to action. Interactive online guidance and engagement platforms such as Walkme help customers navigate through your website or application, leading them exactly where they need to go. For example, tip balloons or arrows guides users through the website with ease. In this way, a website will direct users to products more easily, leading to higher conversion rates.
Because of the potential impact of UX design, companies spend a great deal of time and resources improving a website’s user experience. Following some of these tips and tricks will help any business improve their website or application UX design, leading to higher conversions and returning, satisfied customers.